Plaster is a building material used for the protective and/or decorative coating of walls and ceilings and for molding and casting decorative elements.
In protective covering, the plaster saves the bricks or stones from direct destructive attacks of atmosphere such as wind, rain and harmful industrial gases. As a decorative finish, plasters are used to give many appealing shades and finish designs to the construction.
A good plaster:
- Should adhere to the background and should remain adhered during all climatic changes
- Should be cheap and economical
- Should be hard and durable
- Should be possible to apply during all weather conditions
- Should effectively check the entry or penetration of moisture from the surfaces
- Should possess good workability.